Tropic of Cancer divides India in almost two halves i.e. North and South India. It passes through 8 states of India. The names of these states are as following from West to East.
- Madhya Pradesh
- West Bengal
Important Facts About Tropic of Cancer
- It is at 23 1/2 degree latitude north of Equator.
- It is the northern boundary of tropical climatic zone.
- The climate in this zone always remain warm and humid.
- There is no winter season in this zone.
- The rays of sun is never vertical over the head north of this latitude.
- The sun rays are perpendicular at tropic of cancer on 21st June each year. This is also the largest day of the year.
- After 21st June, the sun starts to travel back towards tropic of Capricorn. This leads to slow retreat of Monsoon and summer.
Also read, Equator Passes Through Which Countries?
Kulwinder Singh is an alumni of Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi and working as Assistant Professor of Geography at Pt. C.L.S. Government College, Kurukshetra University. He is a passionate teacher and avid learner.